A popular chainsaw training course for those wanting to learn about chainsaws for the first time or experienced users wanting to formalise their existing knowledge.
This course leads to the City & Guilds NPTC qualification which is the gateway to the entire suite of chainsaw units.
Objectives : Chainsaw Maintenance and Crosscutting
- Identify the necessary Personal Protective Equipment
- Report on its condition and locate standard marks
- Identify health & safety features required on a chainsaw
- Identify faults and defects on a chainsaw and cutting equipment and decide which the operator can remedy and which require a service engineer’s attention.
- Carry out correctly all routine maintenance in accordance with the manufacturers instructions
- Prepare the chainsaw for use with the correct fuel/oil mix and saw chain lubrication.
- Start the chainsaw from both hot and cold in a safe manner
- Carry out pre-cutting tests and state the procedures if the chainsaw fails these tests
- State the hazards/risks when carrying out maintenance or operational tasks
- Cross-cut timber accurately to required lengths
- Assess and explain the terms tension and compression in timber
- Adopt safe procedures to remove a trapped guide bar
- Handle and stack timber in a safe manner
- Organise site safety and state the procedures required
Reasonable level of fitness and desire to learn!
First Aid training is also an essential part of your preparation to use chainsaws, so please look into this if you do not currently hold a relevant qualification.
We often get asked 'Do I have to do a First Aid course?' In response to that question, we like to ask - are you confident that you know what to do it you have an accident at work? A catastrophic bleed? Take our First Aid challenge and see.
HSE - Chainsaws at work - this publication covers a number of points to think about when using a chainsaw at work.
We are pleased to now offer an Emergency Outdoor First Aid at Work course. Ian has a wealth of first aid and trauma experience. Following discussions with him, he has created a more bespoke course for the industry – although all the skills are covered (including catastrophic bleeds and trauma), the scenarios and accidents discussed are tailored to the forestry and arb industry. The total fee is £150/ +F £190.
We have a full range of hire PPE (Person Protective Equipment), Chainsaws, maintenance tools and small felling tools if required, and links with local suppliers to help you get the right kit at the best price. Please let us know at the time of booking if you would like to hire any kit.
Our chainsaw training courses are held at our site in Lamberhurst, where we have a heated workshop and plenty of tree for practice.
What did other people think about this course?
"Informative and challenging chainsaw training. I came away having learnt a great deal, while enjoying the experience."
"This course made me realise how little I did actually know about chainsaws!"
"Plumpton college, Countryside Management FdSc student “This was a good course that met all my needs. Scott was flexible in spending more time on specific areas I was concerned about. I came away feeling much more confident in what I need to do.”
"National Conservation Charity Trainer, Sussex "Clear & concise demos. Motivating. Great practical and hands on chainsaw training."
"Local agricultural contractor. "As I have never used a chainsaw before I found the practical difficult to start with but after tuition felt very comfortable in its use. Good ratio of theory and practical. Useful, busy, interesting and varied - Thanks. From no experience to confident to use chainsaw."