Stationary Rope Work Positioning - why use SRWP? John Trenchard, Lantra Verifier has written this article.
This Lantra Awards course is a welcome development in this area of tree climbing techniques, as it offers the following benefits:
- UK Awarding body course provision
- Optional independent assessment
- SRWP framed within UK established tree climbing principles
- Rescue focus based on sensible defendable approaches
- Dangerous/marginal practices rejected
- Only CE compliant kit included
- SRWP options demonstrated in compliance with UK W@H Regs
- Understand Stationary Rope Work Positioning for Tree Climbing
- Identify a range of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate to tree climbing
- Identify hazards and manage associated risks
- Carry out visual tree inspection
- Carry out pre-use inspection of tree climbing equipment
- Choose appropriate anchor points
- Use techniques for safe and efficient ascent and descent
- Establish safe and comfortable work positions
- Carry out SRWP rescue methods
Who is it for?
Prerequisites - City & Guilds or Lantra Awards Benchmark Basic Tree climbing unit, as well as a good level of fitness.
The course is suitable for those new to SRWP but would generally not be suitable to those relatively new to climbing. Good climbing expereince using a range of new kit is ideal.
For those getting interested in SRWPand already working on a stationary line it would be ideal and even those proficient can gain a lot.