This course covers:
- Regulations and industry Best Practice for equipment.
- Basic techniques for access within the tree to achieve work positions.
- Includes use of hand tools and Aerial Rescue Techniques.
Course objectives - Climbing
- Understand legislation relating to tree climbing.
- Identify a range of PPE appropriate to Work Positioning Systems.
- Tie, dress and set a range of tree climbing knots.
- Identify hazards and manage the associated risks.
- Choose appropriate anchor points.
- Use techniques for safe, efficient ascent and descent.
- Carry out pre-use inspection of ladders and safe use of ladders for entry into tree.
- Understand the duties of a competent groundperson.
- Establish safe and comfortable work positions.
- Understand correct final pruning position and the 1-2-3 method of branch removal.
- Remove light-weight lateral branches using hand tools.
- Use climbing irons safely and efficiently.
- Carry out aerial rescue techniques **we use a manikin to comply with social distancing guidelines**
This leads to the City & Guilds assesment 0039-22
In order for aerial assessments to commence, you must provide evidence that the equipment to be used is fit for purpose and LOLER compliant. This means that it should have a unique identification and have been thoroughly examined by a competent person. The most current examination record must be provided where equipment is greater than 6 months old. If these records are not available for the assessor to check, the assessment must not proceed.
We can carry out LOLER inspections, if required. The cost is generally £70 per kit (+VAT) but this does depend on how much equipment there is, what condition it's in and the time taken to log it all on a spreadsheet.
Refresher training available - we run 2 day climbing refreshers every 3-4 months.
Training should be refreshed every 3-5 years.
Good level of fitness and willingness to work at height!
Kit hire - We have a full range of hire PPE (Person Protective Equipment), Chainsaws, maintenance tools and small felling tools if required, and links with local suppliers to help you get the right kit at the best price. Climbing kit is available for relevant courses, a modest hire fee is charged but the kit is comprehensive and allows you to try out a range of harnesses before buying. Please let us know at the time of booking, if you would like to hire any kit.
Tree climbing courses are held at our site in Lamberhurst, where we have a heated workshop and plenty of trees.
What did other people think of this course?
"Two day refresher - Very well put together course, course tutor excellent. I learnt new techniques, electric saws, new kit, SRT. Would highly recommend."
"Good, plenty of methods shown"
"It was a good tree climbing course - well planned. I would recommend to others. I learnt more technical ways to climb."
"Fantatsic course, good instructor, lots of help and chocolate croissants! Everything I asked was answered brilliantly."
"I am amazed how much I learnt in 5 days. I want trees in my life, for the rest of my life. Loved the course, already looking forward to booking the next one."
"Very good to build confidence, constant support and huge array of kit & techniques shown. Broadened my knowledge and understanding of the industry"
"Good site with lots of varied trees to train on. All questions were answered with knowledgable answers."
"I have found this tree climbing course extremely beneficial, commercially focussed. Extremely clear and concise explanation, instructor great at putting novice at ease/helping overcome fears & anxieties."