This course covers:
- Regulations and Industry Best Practice for working in the crown of a tree
- Starting and safe accurate use of the saw,
- cutting light and medium weight branches.
- Understand the legislation and safety guidelines pertaining to the use of a chainsaw from a rope and harness.
- Understand the safety considerations to be observed in organising a work site.
- Carry out pre-start checks to the chainsaw, cold and hot starting techniques.
- Demonstrate techniques for hauling chainsaws into the tree and attaching them appropriately to the harness.
- Use appropriate techniques for establishing secure and comfortable work positions.
- Demonstrate the appropriate use of various step and sink cuts and correct final pruning cuts.
- Use top-handled and lightweight rear-handled chainsaws in a safe and efficient manner to remove light and medium weight branches.
- Understand and fulfil the duties and responsibilities of a competent ground person.
In order for aerial assessments to commence, you must provide evidence that the equipment to be used is fit for purpose and LOLER compliant. This means that it should have a unique identification and have been thoroughly examined by a competent person. The most current examination record must be provided where equipment is greater than 6 months old. If these records are not available for the Assessor to check, the assessment must not proceed.
We can carry out LOLER inspections, if required. The cost is generally £60 per kit but this does depend on how much equipment there is, what condition it's in and the time taken to log it all on a spreadsheet.
Chainsaw maintenance, cross cutting and felling trees up to 380mm
Tree climbing and aerial rescue
First Aid training We often get asked “Do I have to do a First Aid course?’ … Are you confident that you would know what to do if you had an accident at work? ..a catastrophic bleed?
We are pleased to now offer an Emergency Outdoor First Aid at Work course. Ian, Sussex Trauma, has a wealth of first aid and trauma experience. Following discussions with him, he has created a more bespoke course for the industry – although all the skills are covered (including catastrophic bleeds and trauma), the scenarios and accidents discussed are tailored to the forestry and arb industry. The total fee is £160/ +F £190. This course runs approximately every 6 weeks. Attendees get access to the online shop, allowing you to purchase high quality equipment at cost.
We have a full range of PPE (Person Protective Equipment), Chainsaws, maintenance tools, small felling tools and climbing kits to hire if required, and links with local suppliers to help you get the right kit at the best price should you wish to buy. Please let us know at the time of booking.
Our courses are held at our site in Lamberhurst, where we have a heated workshop and plenty of trees.