This leads to the City & Guillds assessment 0039-21
- Identify the necessary Personal Protective Equipment
- Report on its condition and locate standard marks
- Organise site safety and state the procedures required
- Identify the risk Assessment and Emergency procedures on a work site
- Select and use hand tools safety
- Assess the trees to be felled for hazards and risk
- Fell trees which have a diameter less than the effective cutting length of the guidebar. Guidebarnot greater than 380mm (15”)
- Assess a leaning tree and the safest method of felling
- Make accurate felling cuts in the correct positions
- Cross-cut timber accurately to required lengths
- Assess and explain the terms tension and compression in timber
- Adopt safe procedures to remove a trapped guide bar
- Assess a hung up tree and the safest method of takedown
- Select and prepare equipment required for safe and effective takedown
- Check on the safety of take down tools
- Take down hung up trees to a safe and stable condition
- State all unsafe practices which must not be adopted
Refresher training available - 1 day
Do contact us if you would like to discuss your refresher requirements.
Training should be refreshed every 3-5 years.
Good level of fitness.
First Aid training is also an essential part of your preparation to use chainsaws, so please look into this if you do not currently hold a relevant qualification.
We often get asked 'Do I have to do a First Aid course?' In response to that, we are inclined to ask - are you confident that you know what to do it you have an accident at work? A catastrophic bleed? Take our First Aid challenge and see.
HSE - Chainsaws at work - this publication covers a number of points to think about when using a chainsaw at work.
We are pleased to now offer an Emergency Outdoor First Aid at Work course. Ian has a wealth of first aid and trauma experience. Following discussions with him, he has created a more bespoke course for the industry – although all the skills are covered (including catastrophic bleeds and trauma), the scenarios and accidents discussed are tailored to the forestry and arb industry. The total fee is £160/ +F £190.
Kit hire - We have a full range of hire PPE (Person Protective Equipment), Chainsaws, maintenance tools and small felling tools if required, and links with local suppliers to help you get the right kit at the best price. Please let us know at the time of booking, if you would like to hire any kit.
Most courses are held at our site in Lamberhurst.
WHAT DID OTHER PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THIS COURSE?
The guidance was extensive and comprehensive. The site gave vaulable experience. Instructors were helpful, knowledgable and were clear about standards and proper practice. Good consistency, the training was highly personalised and aptyly differentiated. I have gained a greater understanding of how trees and wood words in regards to how they act when being cut.